We get that most performers don’t have the budget, access or the appetite for admin to fully produce their own shows or rent a space to bring their stories to the people.
We at POPArt respect people who are doing their best to make it happen, so we have made it really easy and minimal risk by partnering with productions to bring them to our platforms and audiences.
Over the years, we’ve staged more than 500 new fringe productions from Johannesburg, and around the country and the world.
We host drama, comedy, anti-theatre, stand-up, cabaret, burlesque, storytelling, talks, workshops, live music, readings, poetry.
Currently, we are mostly a digital platform and are able to co-produce POP-Up shows in a range of venues across Johannesburg, while we build toward a new space some time in 2021! We will be keeping a shortlist of theatre applications for fringe theatre, if you would still like to submit your application.
There are a couple of things we are not able to host on a partnership basis:
• Student productions (but will consider for rental)• Amateur productions (but will consider for rental)• Productions under 45 minutes (but will consider for rental)• Productions not open to the public (but will consider for rental)• Productions with free entrance (but will consider for rental)• Productions that espouse hateful ideologies• Productions that have not arranged rights for the text
If you interested in the rental option you may skip the following sections:Creative Team, References, Media, and Motivation. We will quote accordingly from there.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE FILLING OUT YOUR SUBMISSION:- If any production has violated or misrepresented themselves about the above then the production may be pulled from the schedule at any point and ticket sales will be refunded to the buyers. POPArt and its affiliates will not be liable for any losses, damages or costs in such a scenario, and the production will be charged a cancellation fee in this case.
• This form will give you some NB information about how we work so please read it carefully and fill it in as thoroughly as possible.
• POPArt stages in mostly intimate and multi-purpose venues. PLEASE BE UPFRONT about whether your performance is able to be adapted in order to fit in the maximum capacity. If you require a depth of stage more than 5m, we will only be able to do one row of seating and thus the booking capacity will be affected. PLEASE NOTE : POPArt spaces are mostly ‘festival’ type spaces and thus may require you to break down your set following any performance should events be booked in the space during the days of your run. If your set will not allow for this, this needs to be declared upon filling in this form and we will negotiate around this.
• Our standard financial agreement is:- We offer a door deal to performers for ticketed events: 60% of ticket / donation revenue goes to the performer (60% is calculated after 15% VAT deduction from the total sales)- We have in house technical support, the costs of which are to be covered by the production at R250 a show. This is non negotiable, as we have to take care of our equipment with the volume of productions coming through the space. The technical fee will be deducted from the production percentage in the final recon.
• POPArt provides the space, equipment (theatre & at-home broadcast), ushers, online ticketing.
– Co-marketing (production and venue) from the production is essential.
• Please note that for one off comedy events, we have introduced a minimum ticket sales count of 25pax before the split comes into effect.
• Performance / showing dates will be determined by the availability of the POPArt platforms.
ALL shows at POPArt are subject to a vetting process, so if you would like to work with us, please use the following application options. Please ensure that you are clear about whether this is a live or digital piece (or whether it can be either) and WHY.
• If you have already prepared an email document, you are welcome to send this to firstname.lastname@example.org, but please ensure that it has all the necessary info (from the application form below).
• Apply via video application here : https://start.myinterview.com/popart/show-proposal
• Fill out the artist application form below: